Friday 6 August 2010

101 ways to cook courgettes

 
I don't think I'm in for a tomato glut, judging by the rather demure way my Gardeners' Delights are ripening one at a time. But I think that this year, I could be in the running for domestic level EU courgette mountain status. I have five plants that have so far produced approaching 30 beautiful green specimens - of varying dimensions. Five plants is definitely too many for a household of two and a dog. And now, husband is on another work excursion to far flung climes, a job I'm sure he didn't hesitate to accept when I threatened him with more courgette treats. ("Can we grow something else next year?" he pleaded.)
So far, I have done griddled, raw and fried. This blogger's cheesecake recipe is also a winner and my latest favourite is fritters - grated, mixed with eggs, parmesan, nutmeg and seasoning and shallow fried. V. nice with sweet chilli sauce. Of course a ratatouille is imminent- my aubergines are coming on a treat.
But I am wondering how many ways can you cook a courgette?  I feel duty bound to investigate this. Any suggestions?

9 comments:

  1. have you tried the flowers dipped in batter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely picture! Mangocheeks blogged about "summer polenta vegetable bombs" today. Looks like a great way to use up some excess courgettes - http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.com/2010/08/summer-vegetable-polenta-bombs.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. fritters sound great! have you tried making zucchini bread? my mom used to make that sometimes, it's delicious. a few weeks ago i found an old copy of "the zucchini cookbook" by paula simmons--every recipe involves zucchini. muffins, pancakes, brownies, cakes, casseroles, cookies, puddings, ice creams, pickles, relishes, salads, soups...if you're interested i can give you a more detailed list and scan some recipes to email you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Catharine - I have yet to do the battered flowers; but it is one of my favourites, so is on the list! Do you stuff them? And do you go for sweet or savoury?
    Amy - thanks for the tip. Must give that one a go.
    Emily - zucchini bread is a new one on me, but why not. I will have an amazon-hunt for the book - Paula must have had the same zucchini overload at some point...

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mum just brought us over a courgette, lime and pistachio cake that she had devised after tasting one and browsing similar recipes online. It is absolutely amazing, moist and delicious, with delicate lime flavoured icing sprinkled with pistachios - and gluten and dairy free for my husband too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I eat courgettes in everything! I make a lot of pasta sauces and curries and it just goes so well. I used to slice, then quarter the slices, which I find works well for pasta sauces. I would just add them in with other veg after I'd added tomatoes (at the time I used tins as I didn't grow my own) I find they are nicer if you just slice them, and shallow fry with onions, peppers, cashews, french beans and peas, then add either tomatoes or another sauce type vegetable. I have them in risottos as well.

    You could try courgette soup? Onions, courgettes, anything else you want to through in, some salt and some veggie stock, cook until everything is super soft then stick in a blender. This is good cos its then easy to store and freeze, if you can't use them up quick enough.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have two failsafe courgette recipes which you can freeze: courgette cake (yum yum yum - make into loaf-shaped cakes, wrap in clingfilm and freeze till you need it) and courgette souffle which sounds wierd but the mix freezes really well. Makes a gorgeous veg dish to accompany roasts in winter (and uses up some of our spare eggs from the chickens too :D)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wanted courgettes, but grew Tromboncino, which is a courgette only in name. It's more like a squash, and whilst the fruits are huge, you don't get too many.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well thank you kindly all for so many great suggestions... I might have to grow more courgettes not less next year! But I like the sound of tromboncino. Great name.

    ReplyDelete